Thanks to the ESRB handily rating the title at the beginning of this year, it was already pretty much confirmed that SNK Arcade Classics: Vol. 1 would be heading to the Nintendo Wii, this despite a later press release failing to mention so. However, the developer has now officially confirmed that it will be showing off the retro gaming compilation (also scheduled for release on the Sony PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable) at next week’s Game Developer’s Conference and made reference to the Wii build in doing so.
GoNintendo reports that a pre-GDC e-mail that lists some of the Nintendo Wii games that will be exhibited at the event includes reference to SNK Arcade Classics: Vol. 1 for the little white box of tricks. The bulging disc includes a total of 16 games from SNK’s back catalogue, mostly consisting of beat-em-ups and sports-based offerings.
SNK ARCADE CLASSICS: VOLUME 1 will include the following SNK games:
- ART OF FIGHTING - The first game in SNK’s second fighting-game franchise, set in the same universe as FATAL FURY.
- BASEBALL STARS 2 - The sequel to SNK’s popular baseball arcade game.
- BURNING FIGHT - New York detectives battle organized crime in this fighter.
- FATAL FURY - First released in 1991, FATAL FURY introduced the two-plane fighting system.
- KING OF FIGHTERS ‘94 - The first game in the popular KING OF FIGHTERS series.
- KING OF THE MONSTERS - In KING OF THE MONSTERS, giant monsters fight for power in epic battles.
- LAST RESORT - A challenging futuristic shooter.
- MAGICIAN LORD - Players help the wizard Elta save his homeworld in this platformer.
- METAL SLUG - Known for its humor and fast- moving gameplay, this run-and-gun side-scroller was the first in the popular series.
- NEO TURF MASTERS - A golf game which debuted on the Neo Geo Pocket Color in 1999.
- SAMURAI SHODOWN - Set in the 18th century, SAMURAI SHODOWN features bladed-weapon combat and an international cast of characters.
- SENGOKU - In SENGOKU, players face off against undead feudal Japanese armies.
- SUPER SIDEKICKS 3 - A soccer game featuring teams from all over the world.
- TOP HUNTER - Bounty hunters protect colonists from space pirates in this futuristic action game.
- WORLD HEROES - This classic fighter pits players against historical figures in a tournament enabled by time travel.
“With 16 of our most beloved games, SNK ARCADE CLASSICS: VOLUME 1 is a must-have addition to any arcade fan’s collection,” said Ben Herman, president of SNK PLAYMORE USA CORPORATION. “It’s the most comprehensive SNK compilation to date.”
In addition, SNK also confirmed that Samurai Shodown Anthology and The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga will also be shown off at GDC.
Happy with a firm confirmation for SNK Arcade Classics? Let us know in the comments section below.