Following EGM’s recent tip-off about the title for both the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS, Tecmo has officially announced the portable version of Tecmo Bowl today… as well as a hinting about the development of the home console build.
Let’s have a little natter about the DS version first, which updates the classic over-the-top Arcade title with stylus controls, customisable teams and Wi-Fi multiplayer over the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff brings a host of new features that will further enhance the gameplay experience, including:
- Customizable Teams: Choose team colors, emblems, player names, team cities and abilities.
- Super Abilities: Tactically use over-the-top plays to take over a game.
- Wi-Fi and Wireless Multiplayer: Play against friends across the country or across the room.
- Stylus Control: Feel the action by using the stylus to control your player.
- Variety of Teams: Choose from 32 different teams.
- Cut-Scenes: All-new cut-scenes showing off the dramatic presentation of various plays.
- Customizable Playbook: Prepare for gridiron greatness by customizing your playbook.
- Music and Sound Effects: Turn up the heat on your opponent as you play the game to rock ‘n’ roll remixes of the most memorable tunes in football gaming history!
“We are extremely excited to bring back everyone’s favorite football game to the Nintendo DS,” said Ryan Gilbo, executive producer, Tecmo, Inc. “KICKOFF is packed with everything that fans wanted to see in this revival. No other football game will ever compare to TECMO BOWL as this is the game that started it all.”
As for the promised Wii version of the game, the game’s executive producer Keisuke Kikcuhi told EGM:
“On PS1, we simply remade the 2D game with 3D graphics to try and keep in step with Madden. For the Wii version, we’re designing the game for the third dimension from the ground up but plan to keep the classic Tecmo Bowl playability intact.”
We’ll bring you more information on both titles as soon as we get them.